AESL is an umbrella organisation that unites around 20 Estonian organisations all over Australia. AESL is one of the organisations belonging to the Estonian World Organisation. AESL’s main activity is to support what is important to Estonians all over Australia – events, enterprises that are not a city specific but carry value to all – i.e. Sõrve etc.
The Council is elected by the annual Assembly of representatives of Estonian Organisations in Australia (held in late December or early January), and meets monthly (or as required)
The Council rotates in turn through Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide every 3 years. The current council currently resides in Melbourne and has been active from January 2018
The aims of the Council are:
- to coordinate activities of the Estonian community organisations in Australia in their pursuit of the preservation and advancement of Estonian culture and heritage; and
- to act as a centre for distribution of information and aid to the community organisations.
2019 AESL Executive Committee
- Chairman - Lembit Marder
- Vice-Chairman - Reta Jurgenson
- Secretary - Sirje Jögi
- Treasurer - Regiina Rohan
- Minutes Secretary - Eva Otsing
- Member - Nora Sumberg